In this episode, Mexie speaks with Dr. Kristen Ghodsee about the commodification of relationships under capitalism and how we can work towards a liberated future. Dr. Ghodsee is the author of Why Women Have Better Sex Under Socialism and Red Valkyries: Feminist Lessons from Five Revolutionary Women. We dive into the history of the institutionalization of bourgeois monogamous marriage, sexual economics theory, the differences in self-reported sexual satisfaction between capitalist and socialist societies, and, drawing from the insights of Alexandra Kollontai, how we can work to decommodify our relationships as we struggle against the broader forces of capital.
Sources and Links
- Why Women Have Better Sex Under Socialism: https://www.boldtypebooks.com/titles/kristen-r-ghodsee/why-women-have-better-sex-under-socialism/9781568588896/
- Red Valkyries: Feminist Lessons from Five Revolutionary Women: https://www.versobooks.com/books/3999-red-valkyries
- RevLeftRadio episode on Red Valkyries: https://revolutionaryleftradio.libsyn.com/red-valkyries
- Kristen Ghodsee on TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@kristenghodsee
- Kristen Ghodsee website: https://kristenghodsee.com/