In this episode, Mexie speaks with Xiangyu and Carl Zha about the complex history of U.S. imperialism in Taiwan and Chinese politics on both sides of the Taiwan strait. We dig into how U.S. intervention has greatly shaped the geopolitical landscape in East Asia today, and analyze the Biden administration’s recent provocations towards China in what’s being termed the New Cold War. We end with an exploration of the myth of Chinese ‘debt-trap diplomacy’ and the political economic factors behind recent geopolitical shifts. This is a densely packed episode with two extremely poignant guests! If you’re interested in learning more, please check out their 7-part series on the history of Taiwan on Carl Zha’s Silk and Steel podcast.
Sources and Links
- Playlist of Silk and Steel Podcast Series on History of Taiwan (also available on podcast apps): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UvpTIIce0w&list=PLaUg2PM1J5b02n5Xy2zPnn2A5JaRqr_rC&index=1&t=0s
- Carl Zha on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CarlZha
- Xiangyu’s Music: https://www.youtube.com/c/XYZrap
- The Crane Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-crane-an-africa-china-podcast/id1635151634
- The Myth of ‘Debt-Trap Diplomacy’ and Realities of Chinese Development Finance: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01436597.2020.1807318?journalCode=ctwq20