In this episode, Mexie and Marine argue that any revolutionary movement that replicates patriarchal ideology and values will not lead us to emancipation. We define patriarchy on a systemic level as well as in terms of a value system that we have internalized – one that codes powerfully important attributes such as humility, empathy, selflessness and nurturing as feminine and thus less-than. While patriarchy can exist, and has existed, without capitalism, we argue that capitalism could not exist without patriarchy. If capitalism is the logical extension of hundreds of years of patriarchal modes of thought and governance, then a pressing question for our time is how to tear down these modes of thought and governance, within ourselves as leftists and, eventually, within society more broadly.
Sources and Links
- bell hooks, The Will To Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17601.The_Will_to_Change
- bell hooks, All About Love: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17607.All_About_Love
- adrienne maree brown, Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds: https://www.akpress.org/emergentstrategy.html
- adrienne maree brown, Pleasure Activism: https://www.akpress.org/pleasure-activism.html
- Rev Left Radio, Meditation, Materialism, and Marxism: https://revolutionaryleftradio.libsyn.com/meditation-materialism-and-marxism