In this episode, Mexie talks with Laura Schleifer and Anas Arafat, founders of Plant the Land Team Gaza. Plant the Land Team Gaza is a vegan food justice and community projects volunteer team based in Gaza, and they recently teamed up with Million Dollar Vegan to provide 3500 vegan meals to people in occupied Palestine. We discuss how their project came together, cover the history of Total Liberationist movements in the region, and end by dispelling some mainstream propaganda about the Israeli occupation. We also talk about the marked shift happening in the vegan movement, as the vegan-washing of Isreal is much less tolerated and activists are connecting the Palestinian struggle with broader Total Liberation objectives.
Sources and Links
- Plant the Land Team Gaza: www.planttheland.org
- Plant the Land Team Gaza on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PlantTheLandTeamGaza
- Laura Schleifer on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/laura.schleifer
- Anas Arafat on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008448283358
- Beyond Vegan-Washing: A Brief History of Animal and Human Liberation Struggles in Israel and Palestine (by Laura Schleifer): https://issuu.com/vegfestuk/docs/forca_vegan_magazine_issue_2/18?fr=sM2YzZTM5MTc3MTM&fbclid=IwAR2iaWAy8JZcivVR36l7A76omD1hw5f0Xp9u9vroX82hOlQzEE0CE29IlTw
- 7th Annual Eco-Ability Conference: https://www.criticalanimalstudies.org/2021/06/7th-annual-ecoability-conference-july-2nd-2021/?fbclid=IwAR0_eu-4vI_9X97nsU5n4ivrL4QIiKQF64eH1_CRbeSByTzu_EVGmGJuP9s
- Anas speaking at the 7th Annual Eco-Ability Conference: https://youtu.be/0dcIrVd_1t8?t=2585
- More links to come!